|
I am in need of artists to make pieces honoring the Apollo
Missions and
their Astronauts. Maybe I can put a human face on the astronauts
and explain
briefly the significance of the missions. To keep it short and
clear, I'll do a
Mission and the related astronauts each day.
Apollo 1, the mission, has been assigned to an artist
already, as has Gus Grissom.
It was the first manned mission of the U.S. Apollo
program. The mission never
made it to itslaunch date on February 21,
1967. A cabin fire during a launch
rehearsal test on January 27,
1967, killed all three crew
members;
Command Pilot Virgil I. "Gus" Grissom, Senior Pilot Edward H.
White II, and
Pilot Roger B. Chaffee, and completely destroyed the Command Module.
Edward Higgins "Ed" White, II (November 14, 1930 –
January 27, 1967), was
a Lt. Colonel in the United States Air Force. He was an
aeronautical engineer
and was assigned to be the senior pilot on Apollo 1.On
June 3, 1965, he became
the first American to "walk" in space, as
part of the Gemini IV mission. White died
along with his fellow astronauts,
Grissom and Chaffee. He died in the Apollo 1
tragedy about a month before the
scheduled launch. He was awarded the NASA
Distinguished Service Medal for his flight
in Gemini IV and then awarded the
Congressional Space Medal of Honor
posthumously.
Roger Bruce Chaffee (February 15, 1935 – January 27,
1967),was a Lt.
Commander in the US Navy, an aviator, an aeronautical engineer, a test pilot and was assigned to be the pilot on Apollo 1. Chaffee died along with fellow astronauts, Grissom and White, about a month before the scheduled launch. Chaffee was posthumously awarded the Congressional Space Medal of Honor and the Navy Air Medal.
While the Apollo I mission and Gus Grissom are being honored
in fabric, I still need
artists who would like to create quilts to remember Ed
White and Roger Chaffee. If
you want to create a piece to honor one of these
heroes, email me at
quiltmeastory@verizon.net and I will send you the paper
work.
|
Monday, March 30, 2015
Needed for Fly Me to the Moon: Apollo Missions and Astronauts
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment